The Connecticut Office of Tourism is running a very egalitarian story contest. It’s egalitarian (I hope) because members of the public vote for their favorite story, rather than a panel of judges. This probably means that a story will be judged more on how it resonates with a reader than how well it’s written. Interesting.
The details of the contest make it simple, and free, to enter. The limit is 250 words, which ensures you can enter two or three pieces without much trouble. They’re asking for a photo or video to accompany the writing, but it needn’t have too much to do with the story, judging by the entries so far. If you’ve been hesitating to submit your work, this is your chance to do so, and be guaranteed some exposure online. Even if only your family votes for you, you’ll still be on your way. Voting will begin on February 23, 2012 and end on May 25, 2012, so you’ve time to come up with something great.
Here are the basic details:
“What is Your Connecticut Story” Contest
- Each Story must address the theme “Tell us where your passion lies.” We want to hear about the Connecticut people, places and experiences you love most
- Each Story must written in the English language and be 250 words or less.
- Each entry must include an Essay and a Photo and/or Video.
- Each entry must include first and last name, Zip code, and email address.
There will be one Grand Prize winner and three First Prize winners. The Grand Prize Winner will receive a $1,000 gift card. There will be three First Prize packages:
1) Connecticut Arts Pack which includes: a) two tickets to the winner’s choice of the Palace Theatre, Waterbury 2012-2013 Season, b) two (2) tickets to the Stamford Center for the Arts, c) two tickets to a performance of Carousel at the Goodspeed Opera House, and d) two passes to the Connecticut Art Trail; worth about $350,
2) Uniquely Connecticut Gourmet Pack includes: a) $100 Stew Leonard’s gift certificate and a Stew’s Choice basket; worth roughly $250
3) Proud Connecticut Home Pack which includes a gift set of Stanley Black & Decker tools, worth $160.
The Grand Prize and First Prize winners will be notified on or about June 1, 2012.
I’ve abridged the rules to make them a bit more digestible, so please check the full rules etc here.